Two to three storms seen in Hawaii hurricane forecast
The Central Pacific Hurricane Center's 2010 forecast calls for two to three tropical cyclones to form this year.
Jim Weyman, director of the hurricane center, said this morning that projected climate conditions point to a 70 percent chance of a below-normal season, a 25 percent chance of a normal season and a 5 percent chance of an above-normal season.
An average season in the Central Pacific has four to five tropical cyclones, which includes tropical depressions, tropical storms and hurricanes.
Still, officials are urging the public to remain vigilant and prepared to act in the event a large storm reaches Hawaii.
"It is important to pay attention to forecasts and take each tropical system seriously," Weyman said. "Last year we had a scare when Hurricane Felicia approached, but fortunately it dissipated before hitting the Islands."
Hurricane season in the Pacific begins June 1 and runs through November.
Gov. Linda Lingle has proclaimed May 24-30 as Hurricane Preparedness Week.